Workshop 1: "Supporting more environmentally sustainable, resource efficient and competitive fisheries"
This workshop will examine the extent to which the EMFF is promoting more environmentally sustainable, resource efficient and competitive fisheries which are more selective, produce less discards, and do less damage to marine ecosystems. It will examine the ways in which the EMFF supports innovation and brings added value that can make the fisheries sector economically viable and resilient to external shocks or to competition from third countries.
- Moderator: E. Roller, DG Mare
- Rapporteur: G. Van de Walle, Farnet
- Ralf Döring, Von Thünen Institute, Germany
- Javier Garat , Chairperson Europêche and Cepesca, Spain
- Marieke Mossink, Fisheries General Director, The Netherlands
- Vera Coelho, Policy officer, Pew Charitable Trust
Workshop 2: "Enabling the development of sustainable and competitive aquaculture"
This workshop will take a broad look at the enabling factors that foster sustainable and competitive aquaculture in increasingly competitive markets. It will examine the extent to which the EMFF is promoting environmentally sustainable and resource efficient aquaculture and how it makes this industry more competitive and capable of providing EU consumers with healthy and highly nutritional products. It will examine how the Multiannual National Strategic Plans for the promotion of sustainable aquaculture developed in 2014-2015 have helped to shape EMFF supported investments in aquaculture. It will also explore local administrations' role in creating a supportive business environment, and the opportunities to improve cooperation between the microenterprises that constitute the bulk of the sector. Finally, it will look at what is needed to encourage innovative production and marketing approaches in aquaculture.
- Moderator: F. Nikolian, DG Mare
- Rapporteur: D. Dubolino, DG Mare
- Javier Ojeda, Manager, Association of Spanish Marine Aquaculture, Spain
- Isabelle Dupont Morral, Head, Fisheries Section, Normandy Region, France
- Aurelio Zentilin, Manager, Venetian Shellfish Aquaculture Association, Italy
- Steven Beckers, Chairman, Building Integrated Greenhouses, Belgium
Workshop 3: "Marine innovation and skills"
This workshop will examine the extent to which the EMFF and other ESI Funds have helped to support initiatives in marine innovation and skills. It will also examine what investments are needed in the maritime economy to underpin EU ambitions under the Blue Growth strategy. It will focus on research and innovation platforms, marine knowledge, start-ups and small businesses in emerging sectors and technologies (pilots and demonstrators), as well as industry-education partnerships for skills and career development.
- Moderator: H. Siemers, DG Mare
- Rapporteur: L. Marangoni, DG Mare
- Vincent Bouvier, General Secretary of the Sea, France
- Anne Jacobs-Schleithoff, Head of Division Maritime Industry, Germany
- Helena Vieira, Manager, Bioalvo Ltd, Portugal
- Kathrine Angell-Hansen, Manager, Joint Programming Initiative Seas/Oceans
Workshop 4: "To focus or not to focus?"
The EMFF represents a significant departure from previous structural policy instruments for the fisheries and aquaculture sector in that it now provides support to a number of other priorities such as maritime policy, data collection, fisheries control, and compensation measures for the outermost regions. This workshop will examine the following questions in particular:
For any future financial support to the CFP and Maritime Policy beyond 2020, should there be a concentration on fewer priorities? Should any future financial support go 'back to basics' and limit its intervention to the fisheries sector or should the EU's ambitions for ocean governance, blue growth and the Maritime Policy be more reflected in its financial support? Is there scope for more synergies with the other ESI Funds by allowing for more critical mass?
- Moderator: F. Benini, DG Mare
- Rapporteur: R. Nugent, DG Mare
- Dora Correia, Director DG Mare, European Commission
- Agnė Razmislavičiūtė-Palionienė, Director Fisheries Department, Lithuania
- Sissy Freytag-Rigler, Fisheries General Director, Austria
- Riccardo Rigillo Pemac, Fisheries General Director, Italy